Pages

Sunday 15 July 2012

Two Lovely Black 'Ayes'

I love the idea of doing back to back tastings - typically this might consist of 2 or several beers by the same brewer, or of the same style.  Here's one I sort of did for Saisons; and here's one that CAMRGB organised for Double IPAs.

Here, today, is some details of one what I done the other night, and it was done on the theme of Milk Stout.  What is Milk Stout?  Well, in technical terms it's something to do with the use of milk sugar.  Nope that doesn't mean anything to me either, but Sheriff Mitchell gives a good overview here, which I recommend you read.

So Milk Stouts are a rather antiquated sounding beer style, but a good few examples have popped up recently, and in fact I've sampled 4 that I can think of over the last year (which were all very pleasant).  Below is some detail of the two which I supped this week.



Bristol Beer Factory Milk Stout arrived courtesy of my brother Pete, a Bristol resident.  It's a jet black, sweetly perfumed, beguiling foxtrel.  Initial swigs revealed little in the way of flavour, but wait..... repeated sips rewarded my perseverance, by delivering super subtle, sweet milkshake choc, with a bit of gentle roastiness.  An attractive dark beer experience, which builds and builds.  Right this moment I am folding my arms, staring intently at you and whispering "compelling" (try to picture Christopher Lee, and you won't be far off).

So having done Bristol's effort, let's move onto a Milk Stout from Holmfirth.  Summer Wines' Mokko is another jet black beast, with a chocolateade scent. Marginally less dramatic than the previous beer, this is nonetheless a satisfying and subtle experience.  Choc-led, rather than roast-driven, this is filled with sweet nuances, and feels marvellous dans your gob.

If I had to pick a winner, it'd be the Bristol Beer Factory Milk Stout, but both beers are recommended, and can be purchased from Stirchley Wines and Cotteridge Wines.

If you in the market for further Milk Stouts (and why wouldn't you be?) I also recommend Pin-Up's version and the version from American brewer Left Hand.  Both are excellent, especially latter.  Mackesons is also still doing the rounds, if you want to get in touch with your inner 'old git'.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment